Often, when filling out various profiles, and first of all on a dating site, it is necessary to fill in the orientation field on the page. The site offers three options: hetero-, bi- and homo-. Heterosexuality means choosing a member of the opposite sex as a sexual partner.
Orientation hetero – how to understand it?
Despite the fact that the number of same-sex couples is increasing every year, the majority of people in the world are heterosexual. They experience romantic, emotional and erotic attraction to the opposite sex.
To understand what hetero orientation means, scientists in different parts of the world conducted research. For the first time this topic was touched upon by Richard Kraft-Ebing. The scientist suggested that heterosexuality is a kind of instinct in living beings, since it is he who allows you to continue the race. Research by another scientist, Kinsey, allowed sexual orientation to be divided into subtypes.
Many scientists, understanding the meaning of hetero orientation, argue that it is laid down in a person at the genetic level, but there is also a version that it is formed during life, namely in the process of upbringing.
As already mentioned, in addition to heterosexual orientations, there are both bi- and homosexuals. Let’s talk about this in more detail:
- Bisexuality is an orientation that implies the presence of attraction to both a man and a woman.
- Homosexuality is an orientation that implies the existence of feelings for people of the same sex.
Today, the issue of recognizing other sexual orientations other than hetero is quite acute. In some countries, for example, in America, even the registration of same-sex marriages was officially allowed. The situation is opposite in the Russian Federation, where in 1999 a decree was issued that heterosexuality is the norm, and other sexual preferences are deviations.
How to determine the sexual orientation of hetero, bi and homo?
Since sexual orientation is multidimensional and changeable, not all people can accurately determine their affiliation. Klein’s sexual orientation grid will help with this task.
To measure your sexual orientation, you need to evaluate seven parameters in three time dimensions: past (5 years ago), present (last year) and ideal future
- Sexual attraction – representatives of which sex cause more excitement.
- Sexual behavior – with representatives of which gender they performed different sexual actions: kissed, had sex, etc.
- Sexual fantasies – representatives of what gender you usually represent in your erotic fantasies, as well as who you think about during self-satisfaction.
- Emotional preferences – what kind of people do you like to be friends with, maintain relationships, share your innermost, etc.
- Social preferences – with representatives of which gender it is easier to find contact in everyday life: work, communicate, spend leisure time.
- With representatives of what orientation do you mostly spend your free time: with homo-, hetero- or bisexual people.
- Self-identification – what orientation do you identify yourself with.
Take a sheet of paper and divide it into three columns: past, present and future. After that, fill in each of them seven lines according to these indications. As a result, numbers from 0 to 6 should be written in 21 cells.
- 0 – exclusively people of the opposite sex;
- 1 – mostly people of the opposite sex, but sometimes their own;
- 2 – the opposite sex predominates, but people of the same sex also play a significant role;
- 3 – equally to one’s own and the opposite sex;
- 4 – value 2, but vice versa;
- 5 – value 1, but vice versa;
- 6 – exclusively people of the same sex.
You need to calculate the sum for each column, and then divide the resulting value by 3. After that, add the results of each column, and divide the resulting value by 21.