Ways to prevent pregnancy
Every family, woman or man, has the right to choose when the time comes to give birth to a child. Today there are several types of contraception that make it possible to control this issue and decide when it is time to become parents.
Ways to prevent unwanted pregnancy
Consider the existing types of contraception.
- barrier means. These are the most common types of contraception. These include the use of condoms (male and female), vaginal diaphragms, cervical caps. Barrier contraceptives protect the genitals of partners from direct contact. When using them, the partner’s sperm does not enter the partner’s vagina. The use of condoms prevents the spread of sexually transmitted infections. Reliability of use: 95-98%. The use of cervical caps, like vaginal diaphragms, occurs with the use of spermicidal ointments. These contraceptives are made from silicone or latex. They can be used repeatedly within one to two years. To choose the correct size of the cap and diaphragm, you need to consult a doctor. Reliability of use: 85-95%.
- Chemicals. The essence of the action of these drugs is that upon contact with sperm, they destroy its structure and thereby prevent it from fertilizing eggs. Together with the destruction of the structure of spermatozoa, they kill bacteria and viruses (chlamydia, staphylococcus, type 2 herpes). These methods of protection against unwanted pregnancy are suitable for irregular use, because these contraceptives negatively affect the microflora of the vagina, as a result of which dysbacteriosis may develop. The substance of chemical contraceptive preparations is destroyed upon contact with alkali. When using chemical contraceptives, all washing before intercourse should be done with clean water. Chemical contraceptives are available in the form of vaginal suppositories, creams, tampons. Reliability of use: 75-80%.
- Hormonal. Hormonal methods of protection against unwanted pregnancy act on the principle of preventing ovulation. Hormonal preparations for contraception are available in the form of tablets, implants, injections. A gynecologist will help you choose the most effective drug, who will determine the dose of a particular drug based on the results of a blood test for hormones. Modern methods of contraception using hormonal drugs do not pose any danger to a woman’s health. And unlike the drugs of the first generation, they do not provoke an increase in body weight. After the act, in order to prevent pregnancy, hormonal agents are used – postcoital pills. They stop the maturation of the egg and make it impossible to fertilize it. This is an emergency protection against unwanted pregnancy. Reliability of use: 97%.
- Intrauterine devices. The coil is inserted into a woman’s uterus for a maximum of five years. There are ordinary spirals and hormonal ones. This is a rather dangerous method of contraception, since the use of a spiral can provoke an ectopic pregnancy, and in addition it has a number of contraindications. Reliability of use: 75-80%.
- Sterilization. This method of contraception does not affect a person’s sexual activity. Spaying should not be confused with castration. During sterilization, artificial obstruction of the vas deferens of a man and ligation of the fallopian tubes of a woman are created. Reliability of application: 100%.
There is also a so-called temperature method of contraception, when a woman measures basal temperature, and in this way determines the period of ovulation. The reliability of this method is quite low: 55-60%.
Prevention of pregnancy by interrupting sexual intercourse can also be called a physiological method of contraception. But at the same time, it is worth remembering that sperm can stand out and get into the vagina even before the onset of ejaculation, and this can lead to an unwanted pregnancy. In addition, the interruption of sexual intercourse leads to a decrease in male potency.
There are also folk methods of contraception, for example, douching before and after intercourse with acidified water. The use of this method is explained by the fact that in an acidic environment, spermatozoa become less active or even die.