Promiscuity, or, as the people say, a dissolute lifestyle, has always been condemned by society, and if male debauchery attracted less attention – it was believed that this was inherent in the nature of a man, then the female was to be condemned and punished by various kinds of punishments.
What is promiscuity?
Promiscuity is an attraction to promiscuity (lat. prōmiscuus – indiscriminately). The historical roots of promiscuity lie in antiquity, when people lived in a primitive communal system, although this assumption of historians is not entirely confirmed. Modern psychiatry and sexology have borrowed this term to refer to the multiple sexual relationships of an individual. In biology, promiscuity is described as the Coolidge effect: the appearance of a new female in the area causes the male to mate with her.
What is the difference between promiscuity and nymphomania?
Promiscuity and nymphomania are concepts close in meaning, they are based on promiscuity, but the mechanisms of origin and causes are different. Differences characteristic of promiscuity and nymphomania:
- Sexual promiscuity manifests itself in chaotic sexual relations, but mostly under the control of consciousness. The attractiveness of a partner matters. Nymphomania is an impulsive, uncontrollable desire that occurs several times a day, in severe cases up to 20 times. Gender, age, social status and attractiveness of a partner are not important. In the old days, nymphomania was called “womb rabies.”
- Promiscuity occurs in both sexes, in people of different sexual orientations. Nymphomania is characteristic only for women.
- Promiscuity – ends with an orgasm. Nymphomania – such women are often frigid and excited only in a psychological sense. Physiological discharge in the form of an orgasm does not occur, which gives rise to “eternal” dissatisfaction.
Promiscuity – causes
Promiscuity from the point of view of psychosomatics is caused by the lack of self-worth, which must be constantly confirmed “falsely” with each new partner. On a conscious level, this is not realized, more often people consider this the norm and like to talk about their adventures, increasing self-esteem in their own eyes. Causes that form dissolute behavior:
- psychological complexes;
- traumatic sexual experience (rape, first unsuccessful sexual contact);
- asociality (a person leads an asocial lifestyle);
- betrayal of a partner can cause a desire to take revenge: change with several at once and behavior can be fixed;
- search for new sexual experiences;
- mental illness (oligophrenia, schizophrenia).
Promiscuity women are deeply vulnerable and vulnerable. More often, the roots of promiscuity go deep into childhood, when the basic needs for security and love are leading, and the failure to satisfy these needs leads to a violation of the correct perception of one’s integrity, femininity and pushes a woman into the arms of many men. Other causes of female promiscuity:
- Character accentuations: demonstrative and hysterical women are more prone to promiscuity.
- Fear of loss. The death of a partner or betrayal leaves a negative imprint on the psyche of a woman and she chooses not to feel and not to become attached.
- An ancient genetic mechanism for finding and selecting the best sire to reproduce.
Promiscuous sex is more common among men. The desire for contact with as many partners as possible can be explained in part with the instinct for survival and procreation. It is a well-known fact that among homosexuals there is a high level of promiscuity, on average – up to 100 casual sexual relations. In the modern world, the causes of male promiscuity are more prosaic and more psychological:
- need for recognition and admiration;
- striving for excellence;
- infantilism or immaturity;
- unwillingness to take responsibility for a strong and stable relationship;
- fear of loneliness;
- high libido or hypersexuality;
- sometimes getting rid of one addiction (smoking, alcohol) does not get rid of addictive behavior as such, and a new addiction is formed – dissolute behavior.
Adolescence is a difficult period in the formation of an adult, when various kinds of deviations (deviations) in behavior are most manifested. Boys and girls often, in order to establish themselves in a certain social group and prove that they are “worthy”, they can start using alcohol, drugs, enter into promiscuity with unfamiliar partners. Adolescent promiscuity – the main causes:
- Hormonal “shock” – a high level of hormones generates search activity.
- Sexual trauma – incest, rape.
- Early alcoholization – contributes to erratic and frequent change of partners, more often in girls.
- Hyperthymic accentuation of character – such teenagers are devoid of shyness, like the opposite sex, easily make contacts and break off relationships just as easily.
What are promiscuous relationships?
Promiscuity in sociology is seen as a direct threat to the existence of the institution of the family. Moral values have remained unchanged for many centuries, among which the family is the most valuable for a person. The consequences of promiscuity are known to mankind and are constantly covered in the media and special lecture halls, but the psychology of a person is such that he thinks: “This is not about me!”. The result is always deplorable. It will not be superfluous to recall these consequences:
- Sexually transmitted diseases. Large group: Hepatitis B, C, syphilis, HIV, herpes infections. In today’s world, when antibiotics are no longer effective, a mild infection can become incurable and chronic (trichomoniasis, gonorrhea). Condoms are not always 100% effective.
- Men and women prone to promiscuity cannot build normal relationships based on trust and mutual understanding. Bottom line: loneliness at a more mature age.
- Unplanned and unwanted pregnancy. Far-reaching consequences:
- crippling the soul and body of a woman abortion;
- overcrowded orphanages;
- the child grows up without a father and is a burden on the mother.
Promiscuity – treatment
Promiscuity – a disease or a norm? Among sexologists and psychiatrists, there is an opinion that promiscuity can be caused by mental deviations. An examination by a specialist will clarify these reasons. Aggravated promiscuity – addictive behavior needs long-term medication and psychotherapeutic correction, which are selected by the doctor individually.